craftiness. insanity. life.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

thinking

david and i got away this weekend. ah, the lake.

there's just something about this place that makes me happy. maybe it's because so much of my childhood was spent here with the people i love. maybe it's because the love of my life asked me to spend forever with him here...whatever the reason, it's easy to be content here.

i spend so much time "in my head." there are days that i feel trapped by the thoughts that constantly swim around.

eat. don't eat. lie. tell the truth. act happy. own your sadness.

sometimes, it takes getting away to stop the thoughts.

my therapist is always urging me to "be in the moment." to come down out of my head. to just be.

so, here goes.

i feel the warm sunshine on my face.

i hear birds chirping. a woodpecker  doing what he does best.

the slight breeze creates the most beautiful ripple in what is left of the lake now.

the sky is the most amazing blue possible. i don't think i could mix this color if i tried.

most everything around me is dead, yet there is a feeling of hope in the air. a promise that things will change. that plants will blossom. flowers will bloom.

yes, here, i am reminded that life is good. sometimes it takes getting away to remember what is important. work can suck. circumstances can be hard. but life is always worth living.

as the apostle paul wrote so long ago, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." (romans 8:18)


here's to the future.


2 comments:

laurakatherine said...

Glad you had a chance to get away and enjoy yourself and experience what sounds like a fresh calming refresher. We all need things like this to remind us that there is hope and peace gifted to us from God... we just have to find a way out of our own minds to find it :-)

Kimberly said...

love you, sweet girl--hoping the same serenity for you today! (and, i want to hug you right now, but will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday...)